Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/customer/www/onlinecloudbackups.net/public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-automatic-links/seo-links.php on line 272
Notice: Undefined index: http://www.onlinecloudbackups.net/choosing-best-online-storage-solution/ in /home/customer/www/onlinecloudbackups.net/public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-automatic-links/seo-links.php on line 317
Notice: Undefined index: http://www.onlinecloudbackups.net/the-importance-of-backing-up/ in /home/customer/www/onlinecloudbackups.net/public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-automatic-links/seo-links.php on line 317
SpiderOak Review – Summary
Spideroak was launched over 10 years ago and is based in the US, however, they are proud to offer around the clock service operating in several times zones. They have virtual offices in several destinations across the globe. Whilst many of the Cloud Storage Solutions are dedicated to just that, Spideroak also offers an Online Backup solution for the more advanced user who knows what they are doing when it comes to technology.
Their website, at first glance, doesn’t seem as intuitive as their rivals and the information that you require requires the user to go looking for it. They do however place a lot of importance on the security of data. They are one of a few companies that don’t allow even their employees access to their clients’ data – it is purely accessible by those who are authorised to view it. The Spideroak plans have something to offer all users whether they are looking for personal cloud storage solutions or a complete online backup system.
In this review we aim to bring you the features, pricing plans, security, and support information that you need to make an informed decision as to whether this is the right solution for you along with the pros and cons of the system.
- Security – a priority for Spideroak – they don’t even let their employees have access to data stored. This is known as a Zero Knowledge meaning that not even Spideroak employees have access to the data.
- Share Rooms – not something you see very often but simply as Share Room is accessible by a Room key and Share ID allowing access to those that you choose to share your files with.
- Combines online backup with sync as well as cloud storage and file sharing facilities
- Online backup for a whole network of computers – if you need to back up more than one device then Spideroak ONE caters for this.
- A free plan for those wishing to try out Spideroak or those who don’t have as much data to store.
- Compatible with PC, Mac, iOS and Android so great for those who need to access or back up on the move.
Ease of Use
To be honest, when you land on the Spideroak site it doesn’t seem as intuitive as other Cloud Storage Solution providers. Now whilst we do understand that the online backup service offered is aimed at those who know what they are doing when it comes to technology and perhaps their services are more aimed at these users but with the offering of a free 2GB plan it would seem that they are looking for a mass market.
When you visit the mobile site it is mobile friendly and there are intuitive apps available on iOS and Android but the site does require a little patience to find what you are looking for.
Not unlike their competitors Spideroak offer several pricing plans. As we have already mentioned, like Dropbox, they offer a 2GB free plan which is ideal for those just wishing to use a little personal cloud storage. So let’s take a look at each of the plans and what they have to offer.
- Spideroak ONE – a free plan which gives the user 2GB of personal space although trial limited to 60 days.
- Spideroak ONE 30GB – This plan costs $7 per month
- Spideroak ONE 1TB – 1,000 GB of space for $12per month
- Spideroak ONE 5TB – 5,000 GB of space for $25 per month
The variance in these plans means that they have something to offer all whether the need is for small personal requirements or a network of computers.
When you visit Spideroak’s website you will see many references to Zero Knowledge of data. This means that data is only accessible and readable by you and anyone you choose to share your data with. There is no plaintext data, no keys or file metadata every stored on their servers. This enables them to keep everything 100% secure.
Files are encrypted on the users’ computer so that everything is secure when it arrives at the Spideroak cloud. There is absolutely no risk as encryption is the most secure that you can get. Privacy is key and a word you will encounter regularly on their website. What you do get when you take out a Spideroak plan is complete peace of mind that your data is safe from prying eyes and not compromised at all.
Whilst there are no live chat boxes, no obvious support numbers and you have to go looking for support they don’t keep it hidden away. If yo scroll to the bottom of the site both on desktop and mobile you will f a support section with several links. One of these links ‘contact support’ allows you to email support at the click of a button. Simply click on the link and your e-mail message pops up ready for you to correspond. There is also an option to report a security problem.
So is Spideroak the cloud storage and online backup solution for you? We have highlighted the key features and pricing plans for you above but here is a quick recap of the pros and cons of this provider.
- Security and privacy – with Spideroak’s Zero Knowledge policy you can be confident that your files and folders are only visible by you and anyone you give permission or access to. Their Room Share feature means that you can give those invited a Room Key and Access Code to access the information that you want to share with them. Other than this no-one, even employees OF Spideroak, get to see your data in any form.
- Plans are varied covering all users – with a 2GB 60-day free trial and a $7 dollar solution users have the option to just use Spideroak for personal cloud storage. With up to 5TB available larger businesses can also find what they are looking for.
- Support – their support system is easily accessible and you don’t need to be logged in to e-mail their support team to find the answer to your query.
- Ease of use – there is some negative feedback that downloading the software to set up Spideroak on your system is awkward. Also when you visit the site it isn’t the most intuitive or easy to navigate the site. You do need to look for the information you need.
- The free plan is limited to 60 days. Unlike Dropbox you are only able to use the free account for a limited time before you have to upgrade your plan.
|Ease Of Use|